For members of the Michigan State Police Retirement System

Applying for Your Pension

Apply Early!

Since we cannot pay retroactively, you could end up losing benefits if you apply after the month you terminate employment.

When you’re ready to apply for your pension, you’ll submit your application by logging in to your pension account, miAccount. We recommend that you submit your retirement application and mail photocopies of your proofs to ORS at least 30 days, but no more than 90 days, prior to your retirement effective date.

Note: Don't forget to notify your human resource office of your termination.


What you will need

ORS cannot process your retirement until you complete all of the steps in miAccount and submit all of the required documentation.

You'll also need to provide the following:

(do not mail in original documents)
When Required / Special Notes
Proof of Marriage To name your spouse as pension beneficiary and/or enroll him/her in your insurances, you must provide a copy of your marriage certificate and your spouse's birth certificate.
Proof of Age Submit a copy of your and, if applicable, your pension beneficiary's birth certificate. Click here to see other acceptable proofs of age. If you elect a survivor option, you also need to furnish proof of your spouse or beneficiary's age.


Proving Your Age

You must furnish proof that includes your date of birth or age and proof of any beneficiary's or insurance dependent's age, including your spouse, if applicable. Photocopies of acceptable proofs, in order of preference, are shown here.

Note: Write your name and Member ID on all documents and proofs. Do not mail in original documents, as they will not be returned.

Preferred Proof of Age

  • Birth certificate.
  • Hospital birth record.
  • Church baptismal record established during the first few years of your life.
  • Valid U.S. passport book or card.
  • Delayed birth certificate.
  • Social security documentation. If none of the above is available and you have applied for a social security benefit and documented your date of birth, a statement from the Social Security Administration is sufficient. This statement must include your date of birth and explain that you have filed sufficient documentation to establish your date of birth.

Alternate Proof of Age

If you do not have the preferred proof of age, submit photocopies of at least two of the following documents. In addition to your date of birth or age, these documents should include an issue date. Records established early in life are preferred.

  • School record.
  • Church record.
  • State or federal census record.
  • Statement signed by physician or midwife who attended the birth.
  • Family bible or other family record.
  • Insurance policy.
  • Government issued marriage certificate.
  • Employment record.
  • Military record.
  • Child's birth certificate that shows age of parent.
  • Other records such as a hospital treatment record, labor union or fraternal record, permits, or licenses.

Foreign Birth

If you were born in a foreign country, you may submit a photocopy of any of the items above, or one of the following:

  • Valid foreign passport.
  • Immigration record established upon arrival in the United States.
  • Naturalization record (citizenship paper).
  • Alien registration card.
Home       |      About Us       |       Contact Us       |       Site Map       |