For members of the Michigan State Police Retirement System


Earning Service

You accumulate or earn service for the hours you work for the Michigan State Police. Your years of service count towards eligibility for your retirement benefits, including your pension, and your employer’s contributions to the Savings Component of your plan. Your years of service are also used in the calculation of your pension.

Your total years of service credit are also a factor in calculating the amount of a deferred retirement, a nonduty disability retirement, or a nonduty death retirement. The more service you have, the higher your monthly pension will be.

For retirement purposes, 2,080 hours equals one year. You cannot be credited with more than one year of service in any given year, and you cannot earn more than 80 hours of service credit in a pay period.

The chart below illustrates how service is earned.

Type of Employment Period of Time Service Earned
Full Time 1 month 0.0833 of a year
Full Time 1 pay period - 80 hours 0.0385 of a year
Part Time or Job Share 1 pay period - 40 hours 0.0192 of a year
Part Time or Job Share 1 year - half-time 0.5000 of a year


Adding to Your Service

You may be able to also receive credit for intervening active duty military service.

Active Duty Military Service

You can receive credit for time you spend in active duty military service with the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, or Coast Guard. Your service is considered intervening service if you leave state police employment, directly enter active duty in the U.S. armed forces, including reserve components, and return to employment with the Michigan State Police within six months of discharge.

If you are receiving disability benefits from the Veterans Administration and are not eligible to receive a regular age and service retirement benefit now or in the future, you may be eligible to purchase your active duty service. You will need to provide a copy of your most recent Retiree Account Statement (RAS). This can be obtained at, by phoning (800) 321-1080, or writing to the address below.

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retirement Pay
P.O. Box 7130
London KY 40742-7130

The amount of service credit you may receive depends on whether or not your intervening military leave of absence meets criteria provided under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994. USERRA is a federal law that provides reemployment rights for individuals who have served in the military.

If your intervening military leave doesn't meet criteria under USERRA, you may receive up to two years of service credit at no cost.

If your intervening military leave does meet criteria under USERRA, you may be eligible to receive up to five years of service credit at no cost. You must report to work within the time limit provided under USERRA or you may lose your rights to these retirement benefits.

Service credit will be granted for the time you served in the military, plus any creditable decompression time allowed under the following:

  • Less than 31 days. Your military service and travel time from the place of service to your residence, plus 8 hours.
  • 31 to 180 days. Your military service and up to 14 days of decompression time.
  • 181 or more. Your military service and up to 90 days of decompression time.

Intervening military credit that doesn't meet criteria under USERRA cannot be credited until you have 10 years of service with the Michigan State Police.


  • You cannot receive credit for military service if you receive credit for the same service under another retirement system. However, this restriction doesn't apply if you will be eligible to retire from the federal government for service in the reserve component.
  • You cannot receive more than a total of two years of service for intervening military service that doesn’t meet criteria under USERRA.


No cost. However, you may choose to make elective contributions to your retirement investment account to receive the employer matching contributions you would have received if you had not been called to duty. Instructions will be coming soon.


Go to miAccount and select Military Service Credit Application (R0081H). Submit your completed application to ORS with a copy of your military discharge papers (DD214) showing entry and separation dates.

For copies of your military papers, write to: National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. You can obtain the request form online by visiting

Home       |      About Us       |       Contact Us       |       Site Map       |