For members of the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System

Applying for Your Pension

When you’re ready to apply for your pension, you’ll submit your application by logging in to your pension account, miAccount. We recommend that you submit your retirement application and mail photocopies of your proofs to ORS at least three months before your retirement effective date. You will not get retroactive benefits if you file more than 12 months after you become eligible for pension payments.

Note: Don't forget to notify your human resource office of your termination.

What you will need

ORS cannot process your retirement until you complete all of the steps in miAccount and submit all of the required documentation.

You'll also need to provide the following:

(do not mail in original documents)
When Required / Special Notes
Proof of Marriage To name your spouse as pension beneficiary and/or enroll him/her in your insurances, you must provide a copy of your marriage certificate and your spouse's birth certificate.
Proof of Age Submit a copy of your birth certificate and, if applicable, your pension beneficiary's birth certificate. Click here to see other acceptable proofs of age. If you elect a survivor option, you also need to furnish proof of your spouse or beneficiary's age.
Proof of Dependent's Insurance Eligibility If you enroll dependents under your insurance plan, you must provide birth certificates as proof of age and relationship; court orders to prove legal guardianship; and to prove adoption during adoption proceedings, a sworn statement with the date of placement or a court order verifying placement is required. For any child age 19 or older, we will also need the first page of your most recent federal 1040 tax form as proof of dependency and school records that prove full-time attendance.
Proof of Disability for Insurance Dependents To ensure coverage for your incapacitated child, you will need to provide a current letter from the attending physician stating the child is totally and permanently disabled and incapable of self-sustaining employment and detailing the disability, and the IRS form 1040 that identifies the child as your dependent. We may ask for additional information to determine medical eligibility. Sometimes this may delay enrollment. You may also be asked to furnish proof of incapacitation and dependency each year.
Proof of Residency To cover your parent(s) or parent(s)-in-law, you must provide a copy of one of the following in the parent or parent-in-law's name showing your address: 1099 or 1098 tax form for previous year, current voter registration card, state driver's license, or state issued ID.
Insurance Information For anyone covered under another plan, including Medicare, who is enrolling in health insurance, include that plan's information as requested on the retirement application.


Proving Your Age

You must furnish proof that includes your date of birth or age and proof of any beneficiary's or insurance dependent's age, including your spouse, if applicable. Photocopies of acceptable proofs, in order of preference, are shown here. Do not mail in original documents, as they will not be returned.

Preferred Proof of Age

  • Birth certificate.
  • Hospital birth record.
  • Church baptismal record established during the first few years of your life.
  • Valid U.S. passport book or card.
  • Delayed birth certificate.
  • Social security documentation. If none of the above is available and you have applied for a social security benefit and documented your date of birth, a statement from the Social Security Administration is sufficient. This statement must include your date of birth and explain that you have filed sufficient documentation to establish your date of birth.

Alternate Proof of Age

If you do not have the preferred proof of age, submit photocopies of at least two of the following documents. In addition to your date of birth or age, these documents should include an issue date. Records established early in life are preferred.

  • School record.
  • Church record.
  • State or federal census record.
  • Statement signed by physician or midwife who attended the birth.
  • Family bible or other family record.
  • Insurance policy.
  • Government issued marriage certificate.
  • Employment record.
  • Military record.
  • Child's birth certificate that shows age of parent.
  • Other records such as a hospital treatment record, labor union or fraternal record, permits, or licenses.

Foreign Birth

If you were born in a foreign country, you may submit a photocopy of any of the items above, or one of the following:

  • Valid foreign passport.
  • Immigration record established upon arrival in the United States.
  • Naturalization record (citizenship paper).
  • Alien registration card.
Home       |      About Us       |       Contact Us       |       Site Map       |  
Pension Plus 2